Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Back in the hospital

Well we're back in the hospital. Kamalu has Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) which caused him to also have brochiolitis. It's kind of like brochitis but it's an infection of the smaller tubes that carry air to the lungs. We noticed that he has a little bit of congestion last week but we figured it was nothing. His cousin was sick and so was Kalei and I tried my hardest to distance Kamalu from them but that was difficult when they just want to give him loves all the time. RSV is not as serious in older kids or adults as it is in infants because we can blow our nose or spit out the mucus. Sounds gross huh. But because Kamalu can't do those things, it has to be done for him. That's why we're here. The nurses and doctors need to suction out all the mucus so he can breathe better.
I took him and Kalei to the doctor yesterday. I was concerned because Kalei had a fever and Kamalu had a cough. Good thing I went. The doctor found a ear infection in Kalei and what looked like pneumonia in Kamalu. When the doctor told me Kamalu had pneumonia and he had to be admitted to the hospital, I just broke down and cried. It's hard not to blame myself because of all the "what if's." I felt like a bad mother. Kainoa reassured me that it wasn't my fault and made me feel better.
We came to the hospital yesterday and right away they took his vitals, started an IV and gave him oxygen. He was grunting a lot yesterday which is a sign of him struggling to breathe. It was pretty scary to see all these tubes and wires stuck in and on our baby. Also as we were walking into the Pediatrics unit we saw other children who had IVs and who were sick. I did not like seeing them like that. I felt so sorry for them and then to think my own son was in the same unit. I kept praying that everything would be okay.
A funny thing is that the resident doctor here used to go to BYU Hawaii, Spencer Chun. I never knew him personally but we both saw him around school. He's been so nice to us and we appreciate having someone local talk to us. At least we know that Kamalu is in good hands.
So far he's been really good. They suction him before every feeding. He screams and it's hard to watch but every time they do it, they say that he's improving. They took him off of oxygen this morning and he's been doing fine.
I'm really grateful that Kainoa and his brother RJ worthily hold their priesthood. They gave Kamalu a blessing yesterday. I know that Heavenly Father will protect our little son. That's why we gave him his name. Thanks to all of our family and friends that have been praying for him. I'll try to keep you updated on his condition. Hopefully it will only get better.
P.S. Kamalu was blessed on Sunday. My dad was there and that really meant a lot to me. Kainoa gave Kamalu a wonderful blessing and we had a lot of support there. My parents, Kainoa's mom, his sister Ilima and her family, RJ and Emi, his aunty Ruthie, his aunty Heather, the Sanchez 'Ohana, the Bowers, and Uncle John Maumau. We also had a lunch afterwards where Chad Schumacher and Sheldon Carvalho came. It was a really nice get together and thank you to everyone who was there and helped make it a special event.

3 comments:

Sibbett_Ohana said...

Oh my!! That is so scary but, I'm glad that things are looking a little better. That infant stage is such a scary one. I can tell that Kamalu is strong little boy. Our prayers will be with him and your Ohana. Thinking about u guys!! Take care and thanks for keeping us posted. Make sure you get some rest too MOMMY & DADDY!! Aloha to you guys!!

Pilar said...

poor little thing,I feel so sad for him. You are not a bad mom this things happen specially with newborns you never know if something is normal or not. We'll keep you in our prayers. The priesthood is such a great blessing.

Unknown said...

That is so scary but you shouldn't feel bad! Glad he's ok now! We will definitely keep you guys in our prayers! Love you!!