Monday, March 16, 2009

One week old











Here are some recent pictures. Kamalu is one week and one day old today. That went by pretty quick. We're doing good. He has a little bit of jaundice. He has to do phototherapy which is a big box with a bright light that he has to lay in. He gets too squirmy so we've been sunbathing him. It's weird because the doctor didn't even suggest sunbathing but it's been helping. That's what we had to do with Ku'uliko and Kalei. Maybe it's different in the Mainland. I don't know. He's still a little over what the normal level of bilirubin should be so hopefully it'll decrease with more time in the sun. In one of the pictures of him laying in the sun, he is actually smiling. I've caught him laughing and smiling in his sleep. It happens when he's in R.E.M. sleep. He's definitely dreaming of something good.
Speaking of sleep, he hasn't been too good at night but I have to say that it is getting better. At first, he was eating almost every hour but now it's spread out more like 2 to 3 hours. I'm getting a little more sleep now. Let's just hope it gets better.
As for my recovery, I'm doing good. The incision is still tender but I've been walking and I'm been fine. I just can't carry anything heavier than Kamalu. That's been hard on Kalei because he wants me to carry him. I miss being able to hold him but now he turns to Kainoa or my mom. I think he's a little jealous too. He's really rough with Kamalu so we have to really keep an eye on him. I don't think he means to. He just wants to be able to play with him already.
Oh yeah, the last picture is of Ku'uliko and Kalei riding their horse and unicorn. I've caught Kalei on numerous occasions sitting on top of his stuffed animal horse. It's so funny. He loves making horse noises. He's pretty good at it.
Well I better get some sleep while Kamalu is sleeping. I'll be posting more pictures soon.



2 comments:

Sibbett_Ohana said...

Miki and Ohana,

OH MY!!He looks like he is going to be 6"8" when he grows up! one week old and he looks big already. So cute! And loving Ku'uliko's hair. The kids are adorable. Hope you guys managing okay. Alohas to the Ohana and talk to you guys soon. Thanks for the update!

Unknown said...

He is so cute! That's funny they didn't recommend sunlight...interesting. hope the jaundice goes away! Take care!!