Saturday, April 17, 2010

Mochi and flying kites

So my friend Becca mentioned on facebook that she ate some of my mom's mochi on Girls' Day and since then I've been wanting to eat some. My mom always made mochi for Girls' Day and Boys' Day and other occassions. It was always way better than the store bought kind. So I asked her for her recipe and bought the ingredients yesterday. I couldn't wait to make it so I did it today. This is the tri-colored kind. It took a while to make because you have to bake each layer for 15 minutes but it was so worth it.



Oishi!

So it was nice and sunny today so I took the kids out for a picnic. I had made spam musubi for Kainoa to take to school (yes, he went to study at school on a Saturday). I packed the musubis up and some other stuff and layed out a blanket on the field behind our house. I brought out some bubbles and Liko and Kalei had so much fun. After we came in, Liko kept saying how much fun she had and hoped we could go back outside again. So I told her if there was enough wind we could fly their kites. This is a picture of her and her neighbor friend Cassidy flying her kite.

Here's Kalei flying his kite. He had just woke up from a nap but was ready to go. Kainoa put these slippers on him (Liko's old ones). He was struggling to walk with them on which only made us laugh harder. He kept letting go of the handle. Of course I had to chase after his kite so it wouldn't fly away.

Here are their kites-Yo Gabba Gabba and Ariel. They were only a dollar at Walmart.

I love how Kalei is concentrating so hard and Liko's not.
I was glad to get some sun today but now I'm pooped. I've been better this week at working out. I know I haven't posted anything about the weight loss thing in a while. Probably because I haven't lost that much more weight. I haven't been good with the whole diet thing but I really stepped it up this week with exercising. I did the Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga DVD. It kicked my butt but I lost a pound this week. Yay! I'm trying to get back on track. I have gone down a size(almost two) in my pants since I started working out so I'm happy about that. Hopefully I can report back with good results soon.

2 comments:

Darah said...

Good for you Miki! I was doing so good with working out and then got so lazy, but I seriously need some motivation. I hope this weather keeps up though because then I can go outside more and take Wes and Hoku for walks.

Looks like the kids had lots of fun and I love the pics of Liko having fun and Kalei concentrating so hard.

Your mom's mochi recipe also looks DELICIOUS. I MISS real mochi! I'll have to come down to Springville the next time you guys have your picnic and play too!

Suzy said...

aww-your mom's famous Mochi will forever remind me of going to your house after church and hangin out. I think i speak for lance too-we really appreciated your family when we were youth and going through all we went through! Love you guys!! You are such a great Mom! Congrats on the job too!!